The story

Santa Cruz Church Interior

Santa Cruz Church Interior


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.


Parish History

Santa Cruz Catholic Church is a parish in the Catholic Diocese of Austin, San Marcos Deanery of Texas. It was founded in 1941 by Father Alfredo F. Mendez to serve the Mexican American people of this area.

Santa Cruz Church was built in 1941 under the direction of Father Alfred Mendez, CSC. The church was dedicated on December 14, 1941 with thirty-five families in attendance. Santa Cruz remained a mission under San Jose in Austin and then later under San Francisco Javier in Creedmoor.

Santa Cruz became a parish under the Diocese of Austin in 1987 with Father Richard S. Teall, CSC, the first pastor. ln l994, as the northern Hays county community began to grow, ten acres were purchased, less than a mile away to start a new campus. Msgr. Joseph Deane was appointed pastor in January 1999 and oversaw the construction of the new 1,000-seat church, which was dedicated on February 11, 2001.

Santa Cruz continued to grow and a new Parish Activity Center and a 2-story Religious Education Building were dedicated on March 6, 2005. In August 2007, Santa Cruz Catholic School was opened with Pre-K, K and 1st grades with plans to add one grade per year, up to the 8th grade.

It was always a dream of the parish to re-construct the old church as a chapel on the new campus. This has now been completed with the construction and blessing of Our Lady of San Juan Chapel. The original stone, some of the original wooden beams, the bell, and the cross from the old church were used in the construction of the new chapel. While much smaller with seating for only 40, the new chapel has an appearance quite similar to our old church.

Today, September 27, 2015, we dedicate additions to our religious education building and parking lot. Our parish continues to grow and presently has 2,639 registered families. With our rapid growth, the larger number of youth in our parish, and a functioning elementary school, the parish now needs a gym, which will complete the planned facilities for this campus. The parishioners of Santa Cruz look forward to the future with great anticipation as we continue to see God's plans at work at Santa Cruz in so many, many ways.

Priests who have served at Santa Cruz:
Alfredo J. Mendez, CSC 1941-1948
Thomas J. Culhane, CSC 1941-1945
P. F. Muller, CSC: 1945-1948
Elmer Vincente Rupp, CSC 1948-1951
J. C. Atwood, CSC: 1948-1951
Joseph Houser, CSC 1948-1957
Elmer Vincente Rupp, CSC 1957-1976
John J. "Jack" Haley, CSC 1976-1984
John P. "Jack" Keefe, CSC 1984-1987
Richard S. Teall, CSC Pastor 1987-1999
Joseph Deane: Pastor 1999-2009
Brian McMaster Assoc. Pastor 2005-2006
Efrain Villanueva Assoc. Pastor 2006-2009
Kirby Garner: Assoc. Pastor 2008-2009
Kirby Garner, Pastor 2009 - 2016
Segundo Angulo, Assoc. Pastor 2010-2010
Rito Davilla, Assoc. Pastor 2010-2012
Charlie Garza, Assoc. Pastor 2012-2014
Neville Jansze, Assoc. Pastor 2014
José Luis Camparán, Assoc. Pastor 2014
Raymundo Chavez Vasquez, Assoc. Pastor 2015
Christian Sanchez, Assoc. Pastor, 2015 - 2016
Amado Ramos, Assoc. Pastor 2016-2019
David Leibham, Pastor 2016 - 2020
Rito Davila, Assoc. Pastor 2019- present
Jesse Martinez, Administrator 2020-present


StaCruz.org, yOUR STORY, OUR hiSTORY

One of the objective of StaCruz.org is to provide an online Sambal dictionary for people to utilize so that they may overcome the language barriers existing between the English and Sambali languages.

Come and visit STA. CRUZ, ZAMBALES

Zambales is mostly known for sweetest mango. But there’s much more to see in this coastal province than postcards suggest.

Maligayang Araw ng Kalayaan!

We celebrate and observed the 119th Philippine Independence Day on June 12. One of the most significant dates in the Philippine's history is Independence Day because it marks the nation's independence from the Spanish rule.

The sister islands of Hermana Mayor and Hermana Menor

Come, explore the powdery white sands and be in awe of the pristine blue clear water of the "sister" islands that are beyond unimaginable.


Santa Cruz Church Interior - History

In 1861 Bishop Selwyn formed the missionary Diocese of Melanesia, within the Church of the Province of New Zealand.

He and the other bishops of New Zealand consecrated John Coleridge Patteson as first Bishop of Melanesia on 24th February, 1861.

Patteson continued the work of the Melanesia Mission which Bishop Selwyn had begun. “Southern Cross II” arrived in 1863, and patteson continued to visit the islands and became well known to people in many places.

He was the first white man to sleep ashore on islands like Mota, Makira and Guadalcanal. Patteson moved the Melanesian schoolboys from St.John’s, which was too cold, first to St Andrew’s Kohimarama, and then in 1867 to Norfolk island. Other priests and teachers came to help with the work.

In 1864 Patteson went ashore at Santa Cruz and talked to the people. He swam back to the boat, and they started to row out. Some men were standing on the reef. They began to shoot arrows at the boat. Two young Norfolk islanders, Fisher Young and Edwin Nobbs, were wounded, and later died of tetanus.

Patteson was sad when Bishop Selwyn left New Zealand to return to England. Then he received new that his own father died in England. His sister wanted him to go home for a holiday but he would not go.

He became sick and in 1870 had to go to New Zealand to see a doctor. His house was at the school at Norfolk Island, and he also had a house on Mota where he spent a lot of time.

When he took girls from Mota for school, he sewed dresses for them to wear on the ship. He did not think that Melanesians should be forced to wear European clothes or change their customs.

There was a lot of trouble in the islands because ships were taking young men to work in plantations in Fiji and Queensland. Many were forced to go. Some were killed. It became dangerous for white men to visit the islands.

In 1871 Patteson spent some months on Mota, and baptized many people, men, women and children. Then the “Southern Cross” took him to the Solomons, where they collected Joseph Atkin a young New Zealand priest, and Stephen Taroaniara, whom Patteson hoped to ordain, from Makira, and school boys from various islands.

On 20th September they arrived at Nukapu, where the bishop went ashore. The people took him to rest in a house while they prepared food.
A man named Teandule came and killed him with a club. They wrapped his body in a mat, and put it in a canoe to take to the cemetery. When they saw Atkin and others in the boat, they shot them with arrows. Atkin went back to get the bishop’s body with Joseph Wate and Charles Sapi.
They buried him at sea next morning. A few days later Stepehn Taroaniara and Joseph Atkin also died.


McCurdy Ministries Community Center was founded by United Brethren Deaconess Mellie Perkins in 1912 in Velarde, New Mexico. At that time, McCurdy was the only school in the Española Valley. Earlier Miss Perkins had convinced the United Brethren Church of the need for this school, learned Spanish and moved from Texas to New Mexico to open the school. A few years later Miss Perkin’s Spanish teacher, Edith McCurdy passed away and her parents donated $1,000 to the school to help open a second school in Santa Cruz named the Edith M. McCurdy Mission, which is McCurdy’s current site. The mission later became known as McCurdy Schools of Northern New Mexico and now is called McCurdy Ministries Community Center.

Between 1912 and 2012, God called missionaries, volunteers, teachers, and staff to the Española Valley to make God’s difference at McCurdy. McCurdy School educated thousands of children and youth over 100 years. The school worked closely with United Brethren, then Evangelical United Brethren, and since 1968, United Methodist Churches in Northern New Mexico. McCurdy also began the area’s first medical clinic, nursing program, fire department, hospital, community recreation program, and post-secondary education program. Residents of the valley frequently say, “We don’t know what this valley would be like without McCurdy!”

The economic downturn in 2008 meant financial difficulties for the school. The McCurdy board thought creatively and applied to the State of New Mexico Public Education Department to open a public charter school on the McCurdy campus. In May of 2012, the centennial class graduated from McCurdy School and the school closed its doors with 237 students. Then in August of 2012, McCurdy Charter School, a public school chartered by the NM Public Education Department, opened on the McCurdy campus with 530 students. At the same time, plans were being made for the United Methodist nonprofit to become McCurdy Ministries Community Center (MMCC) to expand the difference the ministry makes in the Valley for children, youth and families. In 2017, we donated eight acres of land and two buildings to benefit the charter school and helped the school build new facilities on the western boundary of our campus.

In August of 2017, McCurdy Schools of Northern New Mexico began using the name McCurdy Ministries Community Center. We are still a nonprofit, a National Mission Institution of the United Methodist Church and still are striving to make God’s difference in the Española Valley.

McCurdy Ministries Community Center supports the students and families of McCurdy Charter School by providing free mental health counseling services. In addition, we provide after school care, New Mexico Pre-K, summer camp and adult education programs for both the children of the charter school and the families in the community.


Santa Cruz Church Interior - History



San Xavier del Bac Mission

The Baroque architecture of the San Xavier del Bac Mission church was influenced by Byzantine and Moorish design.
Courtesy of Jay Davis, Flickr's Creative Commons

During the 17th and 18th centuries, the Catholic missions were an integral part of Spanish colonization. Missions, usually run by Jesuit or Franciscan friars, created European settlements that allowed colonization to expand the boundaries of Spanish culture and influence. The missions intended to Christianize and Hispanicize Native Americans. At San Xavier del Bac, Jesuits first introduced the Tohono O'odham, a Piman-speaking group, to domesticated horses and cattle. The Spanish also brought European crops, like wheat. Missionaries transformed the lives of semi-nomadic Native Americans with animal husbandry and permanent, rather than seasonal, settlement. The settlement of San Xavier del Bac near the Santa Cruz River was a Tohono O'odham town called Wa:k, a Piman word for water. The mission&rsquos name reflects the mixing of Spanish Catholic and O'odham desert cultures.

This wooden statue of Saint Kateri Tekakwitha, the first Native American saint in the Roman Catholic Church, is part of the interior wall design in San Xavier del Bac.
Courtesy of Galen R. Frysinger

The mission&rsquos founder, Father Eusebio Kino, was a leader of the mission system in New Spain. Born in Italy and educated in Germany, Father Kino was an explorer and a cartographer as well as a Jesuit missionary. He entered the Jesuit order at Freiburg, Germany, and soon chose a missionary life. He arrived in Mexico in 1681 and worked to spread Catholicism, by way of Spanish colonization, throughout the region. Prior to his death in 1711, Father Kino hoped to take up residency at San Xavier del Bac Mission. At that time, he was the resident priest at Mission Dolores in Magdalena, Sonora. He was still waiting for his replacement to arrive when he passed away. For his work in bringing European culture to southern Arizona, his statue sits in the U.S. Capitol&rsquos National Statuary Hall. Pilgrims still travel each year to Mission Dolores in Sonora, Mexico to celebrate the feast of Father Kino&rsquos patron saint, St. Francis Xavier, and to honor Kino&rsquos contributions to O&rsquoodham life and culture.

The mission church that still stands at San Xavier del Bac was completed around the time that the Spanish Empire in North America waned. Construction began in 1783 under the residency of Father Juan Bautista Velderrain, a Franciscan. A loan of 7,000 pesos provided the funds to build the mission. In 1821, Mexico became a Republic after 11 years of revolution, and the new government demanded allegiance from the Franciscan priests. In 1828, San Xavier del Bac&rsquos resident priest, Father Rafael Diaz, refused to align himself with what he believed was an anticlerical regime and left his church. Father Diaz was the last priest to reside at San Xavier del Bac for 36 years.

The middle decades of the 19th century were an unstable period for San Xavier del Bac. In 1853, the Gadsden Purchase land treaty between the United States and New Mexico made the mission a U.S. possession. In 1859, the Catholic Church placed the church under the jurisdiction of the Santa Fe diocese. The diocese, under Bishop Lamy, repaired the church&rsquos exposed adobe brick, and in 1864, Jesuit Father Carolus Evasius Messea resided there for eight months. During Father Messea&rsquos time at San Xavier del Bac, he founded the first public school in Arizona, but the local Pima community lacked interest in the church and limited funding forced the parish to close. In 1874, the U.S. government established the San Xavier Reservation.

At the beginning of the 20th century, Bishop Henry Granjon ordered renovations and new construction on the church and oversaw repairs to the church façade and mortuary wall, which were damaged by an earthquake in 1887. Granjon had the entire church replastered and repainted. He also built a wall along the front of the convent and placed an arch at its east end. Grotto Hill, three hundred feet east of the church, is a small hillock topped by a white cross. On the north side of the hill is a replica of the Grotto of Lourdes. Bishop Granjon oversaw the construction of this shrine to the Virgin Mary in 1908.

Inside the San Xavier del Bac mission
Courtesy of Xavier de Jauréguiberry

The church received its first priest since Father Messea in 1913, a Franciscan and native of Tucson named Father Ferdinand Oritz. Since the arrival of Father Oritz, California Franciscans have run the church and served the San Xavier Reservation. In 1947, they founded a school for local Pima children. In 1949, they installed new floors within the church, repaired the roof and walls, and improved living conditions within the convent.

Unlike many other historic Spanish missions from the era, the architecture of the current church at San Xavier del Bac Mission is entirely European. It has no Piman influence on its Baroque style, a mix of Byzantine and Moorish architecture, aside from the desert materials and aspects of the interior imagery. The main building is in the shape of a Latin cross. Two octagonal towers topped with belfries stand at the front of the building. One large dome covers the transept crossing, and smaller domes flank it to the north and south. The mission property includes the main church, mortuary chapel, dormitory, patio, garden, and convent.

Built by O&rsquoodham laborers, the main building is composed of adobe bricks set in lime mortar. The exterior walls are painted white stucco. The interior is decorated with intricately painted and carved religious imagery, which covers the walls and vaulted ceilings. Wooden statues of Saint Xavier and the Virgin are set into a molded background behind the altar, and throughout the church there are carved wooden statues of Native Americans and other saints. Frescoes depicting the lives of Catholic saints decorate the choir loft and main chamber.

The beautiful Spanish colonial church at San Xavier del Bac endures. The Secretary of the Interior designated the mission a National Historic Landmark in 1960. The church continues to serve the residents of the San Xavier Reservation. The church is open to visitors daily, except during special services, and the public is welcome to join the San Xavier community for regular masses.

San Xavier del Bac Mission, a National Historic Landmark, is located at 1950 W. San Xavier Rd., Tucson, AZ. Click here for the National Historic Landmark file: text and photos. The San Xavier del Bac Mission is an active Catholic mission church open daily from 7:00am to 5:00pm, except when weddings, funerals, or other special church functions are held. The church gift shop is open 8:00am to 5:00pm daily and the museum is open 8:30am to 4:30pm daily. For more information, visit the San Xavier del Bac Mission website or call 520-294-2624. The NPS visitor center at the Tumacácori National Park, a unit of the National Park System, provides information about San Xavier del Bac Mission. The visitor center for the Tumacácori National Historical Park is located at 1891 East Frontage Rd., Tumacácori, AZ and is open 9:00am to 5:00pm daily, except Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.


Access [ edit | edit source ]

Mondays to Saturdays from 7:00 to 12:45, and from 15:30 to 19:30

Sundays and Solemnities 7:30 to 12:45, and 15:30 to 19:30.

The church is not much visited by mainstream tourists, but does get a lot of pilgrimage tour groups.

The bus routes passing the church are:

3 (actually a tram) from Ostiense station via Colosseo (east side). Goes on to San Lorenzo fuori le Mura.

571 from Ospedale di Santo Sprito along the Corso Vittorio Emanuele, past Piazza Venezia and Colosseo (metro). Weekdays only.

649 From Tiburtina and Termini train stations.


San José de Tumacácori

Ruins of the Franciscan church at Mission San José de Tumacácori

NPS Photo by Ed Wittenberg

The meaning of the name "Tumacácori" is lost in history however, there are some things that are known about the word. It's the English version of a Spanish version of an O'odham word or words which were what the O'odham residents told Kino that they called this place when he arrived and attempted to record it, but we don't know what they actually were trying to say to him. Visit the Frequently Asked Questions for more depth on this subject.

Father Kino established Tumacácori as a mission in January 1691, one day before Guevavi, making it the oldest mission site in what is now Arizona. For many years it was a visita or visiting station of the mission headquarters at Guevavi. During most of those years, it was located on the east side of the Santa Cruz River and was called San Cayetano de Tumacácori. Services were held in a small adobe structure built by the Pima inhabitants of the village. After the Pima rebellion of 1751, the mission was moved to the present site on the west side of the river and renamed San José de Tumacácori. Here the first actual church edifice was built.

Bishop Antonio de los Reyes on 6 July 1772 wrote a report on the condition of the missions in the Upper and Lower Pimería Alta. Following is his report on San José de Tumacácori as translated by Father Kieran McCarty:

The village of San Jose at Tumacácori lies seven leagues to the south of Guevavi and one from the Presidio of Tubac, in open territory with good lands. In this village they have a church and house for the Missionary devoid of all ornament and furnishing. According to the Census Book, which I have here before me, there are twenty-two married couples, twelve widowers, ten orphans, the number of should in all ninety-three.

The Franciscans began work in 1800 on an ambitious undertaking - a church that would match the frontier baroque glory of the celebrated Mission San Xavier del Bac not far to the north. Under the direction of a master mason, a maestro de albanil, a crew of Indian and Spanish laborers laid five-foot thick cobblestone foundations that year, but construction ground to a halt as funds dried up. Over the next few years they were able to add a few courses of adobe bricks, bringing the walls up to seven feet. These were plastered inside and out and decorative handfuls of crushed brick were pressed into the wet plaster.

It was not until 1821 that work truly resumed. An enterprising Franciscan, Father Juan Bautista Estelric, sold 4,000 head of the mission's cattle to a local rancher, Don Ignacio Pérez, and with the first payment hired a new master and pushed the work ahead. The walls were raised to 14 feet, but the rancher stalled on his payments and construction again ceased. Two years later, Father Ramón Liberós, a persistent friar, finally got the rancher to pay his bill, and work resumed. Within a few years the church was almost completed, although the bell tower was never capped with its dome. The church must have been a striking landmark in the flat Santa Cruz Valley, with its embellished and painted façade and plaster walls embedded with crushed red brick.


Holy Rude



Join us for Sunday Worship as indicated below.

It was good to see many of you at Viewfield this morning, and for those of you who couldn't be there, please find links to the audio and video recordings below.

Hope you are all keeping well and enjoying this fine summer weather.

Church of Scotland online donations system for Church of the Holy Rude, Stirling.

9 May 2021, 11.00 am, 6th Sunday of Easter from Viewfield Erskine Church. Reflection &mdash Audio on Soundcloud &mdash Video on Youtube. &mdash Video on Facebook. &mdash Revd. Alan F. Miller.

6 June 2021, 11.00 am, 2 nd Sunday after Pentecost from the Holy Rude. Reflection &mdash Audio on Soundcloud &mdash Video on Youtube. &mdash Video on Facebook. &mdash Revd. Alan F. Miller.

Christmas Eve at 6:30pm Family Christingle Service in Viewfield Erskine Church. Christingles will be made from 5:30pm.

We are a congregation of the Church of Scotland (a church in the Presbyterian tradition and part of the world-wide family of Reformed Churches), worshipping in our beautiful and historic building which dates from the 15th century.

The Church has been the historic Burgh Kirk, or Parish Church, of Stirling for 900 years and is the only church still in active use, apart from Westminster Abbey in London, to have hosted a coronation, when the infant King James VI of Scotland (later also James I of England) was crowned in the Holy Rude on the 29th July 1567.

We are a friendly and welcoming faith community, open to all who come to us as we seek to live out our Christian faith in offering hospitality to all who come, no matter what your age, background, culture or gender, and whether you come only once, or become a regular member of our congregation every Sunday.

Our worship style is traditional, and we have a reputation for good music and


Early Settlers of Santa Cruz de la Cañada, 1695-1715

On April 22, 1695, don Diego de Vargas, Governor de Vargas, founded the Villa Nueva de Santa Cruz de los Españoles Mexicanos with families recruited as frontier settlers from Mexico City. The intent was to firmly establish Spanish citizens on the frontier to help preserve New Mexico as part of the Spanish empire. The settlers from Mexico City were joined by families that previous owned land in the area prior to 1680. After a difficult first decade, the town and jurisdiction of the Villa Nueva de Santa Cruz developed into a stable community and served as the springboard for establishing additional settlements in northern New Mexico, such as Abiquiú, Ojo Calients, Las Trampas, Embudo, and Taos.

Early Settlers of Santa Cruz de la Cañada, 1695-1715 is the most comprehensive historical account of the Spanish citizens that persevered in making a dangerous frontier their home. The names of numerous early residents of the town and jurisdiction of the Villa Nueva de Santa Cruz between 1695 and 1715 are found in various records. This monograph includes lists of residents of from the years 1695, 1696, 1697, 1704, 1707, and 1712, including the census of 1707 and the tool distribution list of 1712. Of particular value is the rare compilation of marriage records of Santa Cruz residents for the years 1695 through 1715 extracted from surviving prenuptial investigation records.

The history of the early residents of the town and jurisdiction of the Villa de Santa Cruz reveals that, despite hardship and uncertainty, their aspirations overcame their fears. Their willingness to persevere in the face of great challenges and danger deserves recognition as a foundation for the firm establishment and development of Nuevomejocano culture of northern New Mexico.

As the descendants of the early settlers of the Villa Nueva de Santa Cruz increased in the 1700s and 1800s, families intermarried with each other and with the local Indians, founded new settlements, and actively transmitted the cultural traditions of previous generations, infusing their own innovations with each subsequent generation to the present day.

“Genealogists as well as New Mexico history enthusiasts will find in this monograph a wealth of documentary history culled and collected from various sources, making research into these Nuevo Mexicano pioneers easier and much more accessible than ever before.” —Robert D. Martínez

“This is an important piece of work that José Antonio Esquibel has compiled about the area we know as Santa Cruz de la Cañada. It is an account of a historical-familial sequence of events that culminated in generations of people to follow. Many readers will see names they recognize, marriages they have heard about, and a timeline of events that can be treasured by all researchers.” —Henrietta Martinez Christmas


Watch the video: Church of Santa Cruz in Manila (May 2022).